The Application Process
1.Know our application cycle.
New Homeowner Applications are accepted on a quarterly basis ONLY.
Application Cycles are:
- January 1-31
- April 1-30
- July 1-31
- October 1-31
You may pick up a homeowner application at any time, but if you receive one out of a cycle period we will not be able to review them until the following cycle.
2.Pick up or Call for an application.
We provide affordable homeownership to families that otherwise would not qualify for a conventional mortgage due to their income. Anybody is welcome to obtain an application.
We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law (The Fair Housing Amendments Act 1988). We do not discriminate against any person because of Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Handicap, Familial Status, or National Origin.
It’s important for applicants to know that we do NOT provide immediate, emergency housing. We do NOT provide emergency rental assistance.
3. Fill out your application.
4. Make copies of any of the documents listed below that apply to your situation:
- Federal Income tax returns (form 1040) for the past two years you filed
- Current pay stubs (last two pay periods)
- Current bank statements (checking and savings)
- Current benefit statements (SSI, SSDI, Food Share, Section 8 Housing, etc…)
- Child support court order and payment history for the past two years
- Name, address and Phone number of your current landlord
- Proof of residency and eligibility to work in the U.S.
5. Complete eight hours of community service following approval by the family selection committee.
This must be completed within 30 days of the application meeting you attend.
6. Schedule a meeting with the family services manager to review your application for completeness.
This must be completed within 30 days of turning in your application.
7. After your application is submitted:
Staff will do an initial review of your need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner with Habitat.
Staff will pull your credit report and request a landlord reference.
8. If your application is complete, it will be reviewed by the Family Selection Committee.
9. If your application passes the initial review, a home visit will be arranged.
The home visit consists of a tour of your current home and an interview of your family by our family services manager. The purpose of the home visit is to discuss the Habitat housing program in further detail and gain further information on your family’s current living conditions.
All heads of the household must participate and the entire family should be present.
10. After your home visit, all household members 18 and over must obtain a full FBI background check.
Habitat will reimburse $20 for each background check completed.
Your application then is reviewed by the entire Family Selection Committee.
The committee reviews information submitted on the application form, financial documents and information obtained at the home visit to determine whether your application meets the program guidelines.
If approved, your application is forwarded to the Habitat Board of Directors for a final review and approval.
If the committee does not approve your application, you will be notified in writing with the reason for the adverse action.
11. If approved by the Board of Directors, you will be contacted to set a date for an Acceptance Meeting.
Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County
908 West Isabella Street
Salisbury, MD 21801
Phone: (410) 546-1551
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday by appointment only
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Friday 10:00 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Call to schedule a FREE pick up! (410) 749-6325