Current Employment and National Service Opportunities
JOB TITLE: Rental Assistance Application Processor and Interpreter
LOCATION: Salisbury, MD
Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County, Inc. is 501(c)3 non-profit organization with the mission to build homes, communities and hope. Since 1987, we have built and sold 70 homes to low-income families and served dozens of older adults homeowners with critical home repairs to help them ‘age in place. In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we have partnered with Wicomico County Planning and Zoning to offer rental and utility assistance to renters who are impacted financially due to the pandemic.
ADMINISTRATIVE: Non-Exempt, temporary, grant-funded, hourly position. The employee will work 20 or more hours per week. The initial agreement is for a term of six months which may be renewed monthly depending on grant funds. Once the grant funds are expended, the position and any contract will end.
WAGE: $12 per hour, grant-funded, part-time.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No Supervisory responsibilities
POSITION SUMMARY – The Rental Assistance Application Processor will determine program eligibility, review and validate application supporting documentation, and work directly with tenants and landlords to provide Emergency Rental Assistance to individuals who have been affected the Pandemic.
- Must be Fluent in English/Spanish or English/Haitian-Creole
APPLICATION PROCESS & EXPECTED HIRING DATE
- Applications being accepted until April 15, 2021.
- To apply: email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or hand deliver to Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County Inc., 908 W. Isabella St, Salisbury, MD 21801
- Interviews to be held April 16, 2021.
- Expected start date: April 26, 2021 or sooner.
SUPERVISOR: You will be supervised and evaluated by the Family Services Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Rental Assistance Application Processor will be responsible for:
- Uses applicable policies and procedures to review Web-based Emergency Rental Assistance applications to determine eligibility, make appropriate assistance recommendation, and finalize applications for Quality Control review in a timely manner
- Examines and evaluates all documents to ensure authenticity
- Calculates income, deductions; exemptions, and rental assistance amounts
- Communicates via phone and email with applicants to obtain outstanding documentation to continue processing pending applications
- Translates for non-English speaking applicants by phone or in-person as needed
- Ensures applicant files are complete and concise;
observes applicant/file confidentiality etiquette
- Advises both Tenants and Landlords of program regulations, administrative policies, and procedures when required
- Completes reports to detail application assignment status and reasoning for application processing delays
- Participates in bi-weekly team meetings to discuss best practices and recommendations for improving workflow
- Collaborates with supervisors and co-workers to ensure and achieve the department’s goals
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
EQUIPMENT OPERATED: • Computer (PC), phone, and other office equipment
- Must have 1-year experience of working experience
- Must be fluent in English/Haitian Creole AND/OR English/Spanish
- Must have a proven ability to work across organizations with effective communication, leadership, and project management skills
- Must have good telephone etiquette
- Must have proven experience in MS Office Applications
- Excellent writing, grammar, and spelling ability
- Excellent presentation and written/oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a deadline-conscious, results-driven environment
- Must exhibit strong writing skills, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to generate creative ideas while working both independently and collaboratively
- Must be a self-starter, multitasker who works well under pressure, and follows through on tasks
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., supplemented by college-level courses in Business/Public Administration, Psychology, or Sociology a plus, but not required; An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- The work entails the performance of physical activities including walking, standing, bending, stooping, lifting and carrying possibly heavy objects. The work will entail the individual to be able to concentrate and pay attention for long periods of time. The work will contain you in a stationary position for long periods of time. During outreach events, meeting clients may be outside, under tents, in community centers or in retail environments. This is a fast-paced moving environment and must be able to, collaborates well with others and proactively contributes to group objectives.
WORKING HOURS • Monday through Saturday – available for 8-hour shifts from 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm (day/hours will vary). 20 hours a week guaranteed. More hours may be available depending on client appointments and outreach events planned.
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE • Salisbury, MD surrounding area within Wicomico County.
TRAVEL • Must have reliable transportation to travel from office to outreach events. Mileage will be reimbursed for outreach event travel.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT • Must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America. Sponsorship will not be a part of this contract • Must successfully complete a successful background check.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER & ANTI-DISCRIMINATION
Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, family status, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, disability, genetic information/history or any other personal characteristic protected by law.
DRUG AND ALCOHOL-FREE WORKPLACE
Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County, Inc. maintains a workplace free of drug and alcohol abuse. Any unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of drugs, and the abuse of drugs or alcohol is prohibited in the business’ workplace. Any violation of the Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including discharge/termination.
Applications being accepted until April 15, 2021.
To apply: email a resume to email@example.com
Or hand deliver to Habitat for Humanity of Wicomico County Inc.
908 W. Isabella St, Salisbury, MD 21801
Interviews to be held April 16, 2021.
Expected start date: April 26, 2021 or sooner.